Re: Rollback segments question (shrink)

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:12:13 -0000

Correct in all points.
The purpose of the optimal size is as follows: a) The smaller the volume of rollback space the better for performance reasons

     (though not for other reasons)

b) Some transactions may occasionally use too much space, and therefore

     force the rollbacks to grow until the transaction commits.

By choosing a good optimal size, any rollback that grows because of a 'special case' transaction will eventually shrink back to the more desirable
small size.

Because the actual grow and shrink has an overhead, the tricky bit is choosing a size of rollback segment that is as small as possible without resulting in so many grows and shrinks that the benefit of the small size is lost in the overhead of continual growing and shrinking.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html