Re: database link

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:41:01 GMT

In article <944q45$brv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   henry00_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I create a data base link like:
>
> create database link remote_connect
> connect to user identified by mypassword
> using 'instance.mycompany.com';
>
> I had a table named test in the remote database
 instance.mycompany.com.
> When I tried to use select query on test table, I got the error
 message:
> ERROR:
> ORA-02085: database link REMOTE_CONNECT.MYCOMPANY.COM connects to
> INSTANCE.MYCOMPANY.COM
>
> What go wrong here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

 Basically, your create statement has an incorrect using clause. When you create the database link, Oracle does not test the connection. It presumes that you are correct. When you actually use the database link, it tries to resolve it and make the connection. Obviously, things can go wrong -- the other server is not running, the identified user has been removed, password has changed, whatever.

In this particular case, I would guess that the 'instance.mycompany.com' is not the appropriate name for the instance in question. Try entering the instance identifier used when logging in via SQLPlus eg sqlplus user_at_instanceName

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com