Re: Windows 2000 - Millenium Edition

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:01:56 GMT

In article <944cqm$v78$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:
> In our last gripping episode The Tentative DBA.... <mick_rice_at_my-
> deja.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know if I can install the Oracle rdbms and other
 products
> > like sqlplus on the Millenium edition of Windows 2000 ? I recently
> > bought a home PC with this os and I want to be able to use Oracle
> > products at home for educational purposes. As my company is an
 Oracle
> > Partner I think I can get whatever installation media I need, once I
> > know what I need. I've tried installing from the NT CD and ran into
> > some permissions problems, although I must admit I didn't have much
> > time to try to work around them. Any advice appreciated.
> >
> > Mick.
> >
> > --
> > If it isn't backed up, it's not worth shit !
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
> >

> As of October 11, 2000 Oracle reports no version of their product is
> certified for Windows ME.
>

> From: Kim Thompson 11-Oct-00 16:16
> Subject: Windows ME support
>
> RDBMS Version:: Oracle 8.1.5
> Operating System and Version:: HP UX 11.0
> Error Number (if applicable)::
> Server Net Version:: 8.1.5
> Client Operating System and Version:: Windows ME 1
> Client Net Version:: 8.1.5
>
> Windows ME support
>
> Is any version of NET 8 certified for use with Windows ME? We
 attempted
> an 8.1.5 client install without success.

> From: Oracle, Rhoderick Butial 11-Oct-00 19:36
> Subject: Re : Windows ME support
>
> Hello,
>
> At this time, there are no Oracle versions certified to run against
 the
> new Windows ME platform.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rod
> Oracle Technical Support
> >>>>>>>

> --
> David Fitzjarrell
> Oracle Certified DBA
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Apparently Oracle is issuing conflicting reports; see below.

Thread Status: Closed

From: Doug Stone 25-Aug-00 17:33
Subject: Will Oracle 8 run on Windows ME?

RDBMS Version: 8.0.5
Operating System and Version: Windows NT 4.0 Error Number (if applicable):
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Server Product Version: 8.0.5

Will Oracle 8 run on Windows ME?

Will Oracle 8 run on Windows ME?

Thank you,
Doug

From: Oracle, Kalpana Malligere 26-Aug-00 04:22 Subject: Re : Will Oracle 8 run on Windows ME?

Hello,

Not supported, the first version supported is V8.1.6.

Thanks!
Kalpana
Oracle Technical Support

In August of 2000 Oracle Support claims that 8.1.6 is supported for Windows ME, yet in October of that same year Oracle Support claims that no release is certified for Windows ME. One would presume that if a release is supported for a platform it is certified for that platform.

I would imagine that this is a 'try it and take your chances' situation.

Another post from Oracle Support with respect to Windows ME:

From: mschenkel_at_alpinesoftware.com 25-Sep-00 14:54 Subject: Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

RDBMS Version: Oracle 8i - 8.1.6
Operating System and Version: Windows 98 ME (Millennium Edition) Error Number (if applicable):
Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): Oracle Installer Product Version: 8.1.6

Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

When I try to install Oracle 8.1.6 on a client with Windows ME it errors at the point where you set the paths. I have researched Oracle's sites, as well as Usenet. On the Oracle site I have found an article which states that 8.1.6 is currently not supported with Windows ME. Are there plans for Oracle to run on this platform? If not, will it run on Windows 2000?

Thanks, Mark.

From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 26-Sep-00 21:57 Subject: Re : Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

The 8.1.6 client is supported on Windows 2000. At this time, there has not been an offical statement as to if the ME platform will be supported.

Gina
Oracle Support Services

From: Sergio Pina 21-Oct-00 22:23
Subject: Re : Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

Here is something you may find interesting.

I pre-installed Oracle 8i client and other Oracle products on my Windows 98 PC. Soon after I purchased Windows ME thinking nothing of any compatibility issues. Now, Windows Me will not let me uninstall Oracle, the operating system doesn't recognize it to uninstall it. Secondly, I cannot install any Oracle software either. After setup.exe begins, it won't recognize any installed software on my machine, and it only sends me back to the original screen when I attempt to install it. The interesting thing is that I am able to run Oracle. But am unable to troubleshoot the existing problems I had when I installed it. Like accessing the OEM, etc. I think I will try to uninstall Win ME, and then remove Oracle if I am going to keep running ME.

From: Oracle, J. G. 24-Oct-00 15:41
Subject: Re : Re : Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

Sergio,
You may want to upgrade to Windows 2000 since that has better features and is more stable than Windows ME and 8.1.6 is supported on Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Jill
Oracle Support Services

From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 24-Oct-00 15:37 Subject: Re : Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

Hello Sergio,

Sorry to hear of the troubles you experienced. How are you trying to remove your Oracle products. If you cannot use the installer you can delete the products with the following:

Make sure all Applications and Oracle Services are stopped and that you are logged into the OS as Administrator... 1. Use the Oracle Installer to remove all products & comonents. (skip this step if not feasible)

2. Delete your %Oracle_Home% directory.
3. Remove the Oracle references from your system PATH.
4. Use Regedit to remove the Oracle registry entries found under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
delete services under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Then reboot your PC.

Gina
Oracle Support Services

From: Sergio Pina 12-Nov-00 04:41

Thank you both for the reponses. I will look implement those suggestions and see what happens. I do have one gripe and that is I recently bought another computer. To my chagrin I they no longer sell Windows 98 operating systems. Everything currently begin sold is Windows ME! Now, my old computers are only Pentium 200mhz., Dinosaurs. I find it extremely frustrating that I have a new computer with all this processing power, but I can't continue my Oracle skills development. When is Oracle going to come out with something compatible for ME. Or will they only concentrate on WIN 2000?

Thank you all for your reponses.

Sergio
yyz707_at_aol.com

From: Oracle, Gina Thunder 05-Jan-01 17:12 Subject: Re : Re : Client on Windows ME (Millennium Edition)

Sorry for the delay in response. Oracle 8.0.6 PERSONAL Edition is supported against the ME edition of Windows. At this time, this is the only rdbms version and edition supported on this platform.

Gina
Oracle Support Services

Apparently as of January 5, 2001 Oracle 8.0.6 Personal edition is certfied and supported for Windows ME.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com