Re: Windows 2000 - Millenium Edition

From: Ezr Vinh <d_a_p_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:52:56 GMT

First some clarifications: Windows 2000 is the next evolution of Windows NT, whereas Windows ME is the next evolution of Win98. As such, ME is dramatically different from 2000.

There's no way an NT version of Oracle will run on ME. You'll need a version of a "Personal Oracle for Win98" release for ME. I haven't played with a Personal version in quite some time, but if memory serves correctly, they're pretty lame and don't bear much resemblance to the real Oracle server.

If you want Oracle at home, the ideal solution is Oracle 8i on Linux. Since most "real" Oracle database installations are on some flavor of Unix, Linux is a natural environment to work in for self-educational purposes.

In article <944a9j$srf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   The Tentative DBA.... <mick_rice_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know if I can install the Oracle rdbms and other products
> like sqlplus on the Millenium edition of Windows 2000 ? I recently
> bought a home PC with this os and I want to be able to use Oracle
> products at home for educational purposes. As my company is an Oracle
> Partner I think I can get whatever installation media I need, once I
> know what I need. I've tried installing from the NT CD and ran into
> some permissions problems, although I must admit I didn't have much
> time to try to work around them. Any advice appreciated.
>
> Mick.
>
> --
> If it isn't backed up, it's not worth shit !
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 17 2001 - 08:52:56 CST