Re: Oracle TMP files growing without bound...

From: James Brigman <jbrigman_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:04:47 GMT

Connor, and the group;

Thanks for your reply. My dba's are talking about writing a script to delete the *.TMP files and I am steadfastly refusing this option: everything worked fine before Jan. 4, and now we can't get through 1/2 day without manually deleting files. Something is wrong and I don't want to put a band-aid on it....

What we are finding is that you cannot delete the *.TMP files unless they have been released by the oracle forms server. If you try, then the forms server processes consume /tmp space until you run out. EVEN if the file is deleted.....this just erases the inode: the drive clusters are already "owned" by the processes, and things still fill up until they halt.

To really free up the /tmp area, you must shut down the forms server and bring it back up. (oracle processes, not the computer itself). It's a very severe problem with one of the forms. We are seeing individual *.TMP files in sizes above 300MB . I don't know what/which form it is (yet), but I'll try to find out.

I checked and auditing is OFF: I thought this could be the problem for a little while....

Is there any chance this could be a date-related problem that showed up when the year turned 2001 ?

JKB