Re: Shutdown Immediate Command

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:17:53 -0800

> I don't need anyone to "prove" anything. All I would like to hear is
> one persuasive argument that suggests any scenario in which shutdown
> abort could "harm" a database as is purported to happen.
>
> In thousands of shutdowns on some of the most heavily transacted OLTP
> systems in the world, across four operating systems, I have never
> encountered any problem with crash recovery on Oracle.
>
> So, what's the scenario? I don't want proof, I want a reason other than
> speculation. What does having "enough transactions" have to do with it?
>
> commit = redo record successfully written = guaranteed recoverability

I have done shutdown aborts and had problems.

I phoned Oracle.

They said "don't do it anymore". I don't do it anymore.

The reason: Because Oracle says so.

If that isn't good enough for you then either ask them or just keep doing what you are doing but please don't come a-whining when it happens to you.

Listening to you say "I've done it any nothing bad has happened" is, at least to me, the equivalent of hearing someone say that they have driven drunk and never been arrested.

My thought ... not yet anyway. And I don't want to be anywhere near you when you crash.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Jan 17 2001 - 00:17:53 CST