Re: Sun vs NT

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:15:28 GMT

In article <_f_86.530$0u3.113767_at_news7.onvoy.net>,   "Martian #4" <martian_at_visi.com> wrote:
> Hey all I need to provide justification for moving our Oracle
 platform from
> NT to Sun. I don't think resume building is going to fly. Any ideas
 or
> sites that would have good information?
>
> Thanks
>
> Marty Davis

As a guy who is managing databases on both environments you mention, here's my plug for Oracle on Sun:

  1. Oracle developers are writing Oracle on Sun. You will always get product updates and releases first for Sun, and then later for other environments.
  2. The platform is more scalable than NT (though just about Unix platform is).

There's a whole miriad of reasons beyond these, but those are the biggies. The only way I have ever recommended somebody run Oracle on NT is if all of the following are true:

1 - they are currently an NT only shop
2 - their databases are relatively small
3 - they don't plan on growing anytime soon

Sort of a pathetic state of affairs, but they exist.

HTH. Matt.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 16 2001 - 12:15:28 CST