Newbie has Oracle questions…

From: <doug_clark_20_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:52:30 GMT

Newbie has Oracle questions…

  1. I’ve got a whole bunch of table in a Oracle database I want to concatenate into a single view, where I would like to be able to modify the data in the view if I wished. All the separate tables have a index that is unique for all of the tables. So far I’ve tried the below…

Create view NEW-VIEW as
Select * from X-A
Union select * from X-B
Union select * from X-C

And so on…

I’ve not been able to test whether this locks the records or not yet but I expect it to from my MS-Access experience. I’ve seen this done on SQL server in the past but can’t remember how?

2. I’ve tried to link the above created view into an MS-Access database using the Oracle ODBC driver. I’ve successfully linked in other tables from the same Oracle database but with this view I get the error ORA- 01013 and a text message which I can’t remember now I’m at home. What’s up with this then?

We’re running Oracle 8.0.5. I would ask our Oracle administrator if we had one, so I’m in fumble around mode at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Jan 15 2001 - 20:52:30 CST