Re: sql connect got slow

From: <hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:42:33 GMT

you might want to take a look at the file network/admin/sqlnet.ora (or net80/admin whatever) and set

   automatic_ipc=off

Problems can depend on the version of Oracle. Some Oracle 7 releases had some wonderful bugs where otrace was running automatically and needed to be set off in the init.ora. On windows it could also be related to loading dlls. IF your client isn't on the server machine it would be interesting to know if you get the same problem connecting on the server machine, if not then do you get the problem connecting over a TCP to the severmachine (loopback). Doing these kinds of tests helps pinpoint the problem area.

If nothing works you can try system call tracing (there is a free strace program out there for NT) or Oracle net tracing in the sqlnet.ora file,ie

trace_level_client=16
trace_unique_client=true
trace_file_client=cli_
trace_directory_client= /temp

Best
Kyle

http://www.geocities.com/oraperf

In article <93vk1m$b3n$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>,   "Ed Zappulla" <zappullae_at_rcn.com> wrote:
> I upgraded to 8.1.7 and have the same initial slowness on connection
> Oracle from sqlplus and sqlldr. Very strange.
>
> is this a wn2k incompaitability?
>
> "Ed Zappulla" <zappullae_at_rcn.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I just upgraded to win2k pro and resinstalled ora 8.1.6
 Enterprise.

> > Everything works fine but it looks like SQLPLUS and all db
 connection take
> > lot of time to connect initialy. Then thier fine.
> >
> > My guess its a TCP/IP time 75 sec out.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what configuration I need to change to make the
 connection
> > quick?
> >
> > ...ed

Sent via Deja.com