Re: Good ORACLE Books

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:57:17 GMT

In our last gripping episode yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I agree. Oracle Press has some good books as supplement to
> documentation. Generally though, quality control (e.g. proofreading)
> and pre-publication reviewers' review at Oracle Press is not nearly as
> good as O'Reilly. When O'Reilly grabs an expert, nothing can beat.
> Example: Steve Adam's Oracle Internals.
>
> Yong Huang
> yong321_at_yahoo.com
>
> In article <93vmn5$1r1$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, in many cases the Oracle manuals are better than most texts
> > however I must mention the Oracle Press series of texts (excluding,
 of
> > course, the Jason Couchman series of misinformation). My picks?
> >
> > Oracle 8i: The Complete Reference
> > Oracle 8i DBA Handbook
> > Oracle 8 Backup & Recovery Handbook
> >
> > These should start you off on the correct footing. They are fairly
> > easy to comprehend, do not use unnecessary jargon and contain
 reliable
> > information and explanations not easily found in the Oracle
> > documentation. I prefer the above texts to the O'Reilly series
> > although O'Reilly has published a number of excellent texts with
 regard
> > to UNIX, NT, Perl, etc.
> >
> > --
> > David Fitzjarrell
> > Oracle Certified DBA
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

You cite an exception to the general rule of thumb established for O'Reilly's Oracle offerings. Steve Adams is, indeed, a trusted authority. And Steve Feuerstein is quite adept at explaining the vagaries and idosyncracies of Pl/SQL. However the majority of the O'Reilly texts in the Oracle realm are fairly pedestrian fare offering nothing new to the reader. O'Reilly has its place in the technical forum -- operating system texts, Perl instruction and code tips, sed, awk, make -- but Oracle, for the most part, is not their forte.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com