Re: Shutdown Immediate Command

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:12:38 GMT

In our last gripping episode craig wilson <craig_d_wilson_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think I got it to work using the DBSHUT and DBSTART commands.
>
> I'm just trying to figure out why the documentation included such a
 drastic
> command and why the command did not work.
>
> craig wilson wrote:
>
> > I have an Oracle Server running Oracle8i on a Solaris Box.
> >
> > Due to a problem with the redo log, which I do not want to get into
> > right now,
> > the Oracle Server will "hang" on occassion.
> >
> > When this occurs I am expected to stop and start the Oracle server.
> >
> > I have been provided instructions to take in these cases.
> > The instructions say to issue a "shutdown immediate;" command after
> > have done a "connect internal" command.
> >
> > The "shutdown immediate;" command appears to hang and do nothing.
> > Any other ideas on how to do this.
> >
> > I'm really an NT/2000/Netware Administrator, so please speak slowly
 and
> > clearly since I am a little out of my league on this one :>
> >
> > --
> > Oracle Newbie
>
> --
> Craig Wilson
> CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
> NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
>
> Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
> (I Peter 4:10)

A 'shutdown immediate' is not nearly as drastic as a 'shutdown abort' which performs no bookkeeping or cleanup operations of any kind.

Another option, that I did not mention earlier, is the 'shutdown transactional' option which will allow existing transactions to complete yet refuse to allow new connections/transactions to the instance.

Again I state that you should get the redo log issue resolved so that the regular shutdowns during the business day are held to a minimum.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com