Re: Shutdown Immediate Command

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:06:53 GMT

In our last gripping episode craig wilson <craig_d_wilson_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an Oracle Server running Oracle8i on a Solaris Box.
>
> Due to a problem with the redo log, which I do not want to get into
> right now,
> the Oracle Server will "hang" on occassion.
>
> When this occurs I am expected to stop and start the Oracle server.
>
> I have been provided instructions to take in these cases.
> The instructions say to issue a "shutdown immediate;" command after I
> have done a "connect internal" command.
>
> The "shutdown immediate;" command appears to hang and do nothing.
> Any other ideas on how to do this.
>
> I'm really an NT/2000/Netware Administrator, so please speak slowly
 and
> clearly since I am a little out of my league on this one :>
>
> --
> Oracle Newbie

The 'shutdown immediate' command is probably your best bet at this point. There are other 'options', namely 'shutdown abort', however I would not recommend such a drastic act as 'shutdown abort' does absolutely no 'bookkeeping' or 'cleanup' whatsoever which could leave your instance in an unusable (unrecoverable) state.

You state that you have a problem with the redo logs. It would be best to get into that problem here, now, so that those of us who have experienced such a problem can assist you in resolving it. The faster the source of your consternation is corrected the better off you, and your company, will be.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com