Re: listener errors

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:28:55 +0100

Please post your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora (or e-mail them privately) right now it looks like the Oracle home irectory is incorrectly missing from listener.ora, but there may be other problems. The error message is saying your listener.ora doesn't match your tnsnames.ora.
As there are working samples in %ORACLE_HOME%\net80\admin\sample, I'm not sure why your problem still persists.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Joe Stanton" <joe_at_bravenewsoftware.com> wrote in message news:wWa86.45455$y9.8876650_at_typhoon.we.rr.com...
> ORA-12505: TNS:listener could not resolve SID given in connector
 descriptor

> I am a newbie to Oracle installation and setup (been using Oracle for some
> time in the role of VB programmer connecting via ODBC).
>
> Recently I installed Oracle 8.0.4 (patched to 8.0.4.4 - and yes, I know it
> is desupported, but that is what my clients use) to one of my faster NT
> Workstations - and have had nothing but trouble/failure getting a remote
> computer to connect to it.
>
> As a control I have setup a BEQ service on the server - which works fine -
> so I know that my database and user/permissions are setup correctly.
>
> The service I want to connect with is a TCP one with all parameters as
 close
> to the BEQ one as possible. The listener apparently has settings that
> should match up (I presume the port numbers should be identical between
 the
> listener and the service).
>
> I have spent a lot of time searching with AlataVista and Google for help,
> reading the provided documentation, and I have realized that the best
 place
> to get assistance is right here.
>
> Some basic understanding of the process may be my whole issue. Does the
> server need to have a TCP service that the remote computers access or does
> the remote computer setup a service through which it access the server?
 Or