Re: Problem with rollback segment (ORA-01555)

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:47:18 -0600

If there is no other activity on your database (other than your single client application), and you've sized all of the rollback segments appropriately, then the problem is in the design of your application.

A design mistake I have seen developers make is "fetch across commits". That is, the app opens a cursor, performs some updates, performs a commit, and then fetches from the (already) open cursor.

I suggest you chec out this article on Steve Adam's site:

http://www.ixora.com.au/tips/admin/ora-1555.htm