Oracle 8.0.4 Server - NT4ws or W2Kas?

From: Joe Stanton <joe_at_bravenewsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:30:07 GMT

I have been using PO8 for some time w/o problems except performance. For a new project I must use Oracle 8.0.4 in a true server role.

I have 2 computers available for this role:

  1. Dual P3/600 Windows NT 4.0 SP4 Workstation.
  2. Dual PPro/200 Windows 2000 Advanced Server currently functioning as PDC, printer server, and web server.

Which computer is best suited for this role? Will Windows NT 4.0 Workstation actuall be able to function as an Oracle server? I know that Microsoft's SQL Server requires Windows NT/2000 Server for this role and am unsure of Oracle's limitations. I have tried reading documentation but cannot find a statement that explicitly defines o/s requirements for specific roles.

TIA
Joe

PS: Any responses via email are appreciated! Received on Fri Jan 12 2001 - 16:30:07 CST