Re: when are control files created

From: J. G. Dutcher <DutcherJG_at_navair.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:05:53 -0800

If nothing is wrong, why do I get the ORA 00205 error message? I wasn't expecting the oradim to create the database and don't understand why it is even checking for the existence of the control files.

I've used this script before, and the third step (after the two oradim commands) is to create the actual database.

Still wondering

J. Dutcher

In article <93novg$j5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote:

> In our last gripping episode DutcherJG_at_navair.navy.mil (J. G. Dutcher)
> wrote:
> > I'm running Windows NT 4, Oracle 8.1.6.
> >
> > My understanding is that the control files are created when you do the
> > create database sql statement. However, when I do the oradim dos
 command,
> > I get the error message (the control files do not exist at this time)
> > ORA-00205 error in identifying control file xxxx. However, the control
> > name is in the init.ora file.
> >
> > The oradim statement that I'm executing is
> >
> > oradim -new -sid pdas -intpwd xxx -startmode auto -pfile
 d:\pdas\initpdas.ora

> > followed by
> >
> > oradim -startup -sid pdas -starttype srvc,inst -pfile
 d:\pdas\initpdas.ora