Re: comparing Oracle and mysql

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:06:43 GMT

In article <93npjj$coh$1_at_fe1.cs.interbusiness.it>,   "Pino Gargiulo" <jk3380_at_naida.org> wrote:
> Hello gurus,
>
> Please don't hate me for my next questions! I'm a novice Oracle DBA
 still
> working with
> 7.3; I carefully studied the Administrators Guide, Server SQL
 Reference and
> am almost
> through with the Tuning manual, so I feel quite confortable with
 Oracle.

> This afternoon my boss came to me with the news that I'll be working
 on a
> new
> e-commerce project for a major multinational that will be based on
 mysql . I
> questioned
> why use mysql instead of Oracle and the answer simple was 'The
 customer
> decided".
> I came up with some initial reason to avoid this solution, mainly non
> existant
> transactions, unreliability under high loads, no support for nested
 selects.
> Now I've
> got a new task: demostrate that Oracle is better than mysql! Why
 don't I
> learn to
> shut up!!!!.
>
> I've done some surfing and came up with some comparisons between
 mysql and
> Postgres
> but not much with Oracle.
>
> Anybody has something handy I can use_
>
> TIA to all
>
> /PG

You might look through past (archived?) messages in this newsgroup. There was a very long thread on comparing Oracle to Sybase.

Not to suggest that Sybase is as bad as mySql... but there is good information on Oracle -- especially a strong post on how Oracle performs one write and many reads of data.

We who use Oracle all the time expect Oracles performance in other databases and often look at the more interesting bells and whistles. I actually feel the best feature is the robustness of the database -- the ability to have multiple people reading and writing, typical months-on- end clean performance, and a rich selection of tools as the most critical issue. Cheap is often just that, cheap.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com