Re: Redo Log Buffer

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:35:35 GMT

> Can anyone explain me what happens when the server crashes and the
> commited transactions in redo log buffers are not written to the redo
> log file ?

When a transaction is committed, the transaction information is transferred from the log buffer to the online redo log files. If the transaction information has not been transferred, then this transaction is NOT COMMITTED.

When a server crashes, the only information in the log buffer not yet written to one of the online redo logs is information for uncommitted transactions. These uncommitted transactions are rolled back on recovery upon startup after the crash.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at