Re: data file sizes

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:05:49 +0800

gdas_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there any performance considerations to take into account when
> sizing index and data tablespace datafiles? Do fewer but larger
> datafiles have any performance benefits to More but smaller datafiles?
> Does the fact that the files are on RAID 5 change the answer.
>
> I've seen some posts here that support more but smaller files due to
> increased manageability, but I was curious if there were any
> performance implications.
>
> Thanks,
> Gavin
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Lots of file means checkpoints can take longer, bigger files sometimes get into dramas with OS and Oracle restrictions.

Generally I'd recommend no larger than 2G for files and probable some small multiple (4G or 8G) for raw

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"