Re: 64-bit 8.1.6.2 Optimal Block Size for Data Warehouse?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 22:04:40 +0800

solxrosenberg_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm building a star schema using 64-bit Oracle 8.1.6.2 on a 12-way HP
> v2500 running HPUX11 and using EMC disk arrays. My fact table (10
> numeric columns) has 1 billion rows total across 24 partitions. I
> have 5 dimension tables. My current Block Size is 8k. What are the
> pros and cons of upping it to 16k or 32k? Most of the queries against
> this schema will use Oracle's Star Transformation.
> Thanks!
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Bigger will *probably* be better mainly due to flatter indexes. However due to all sorts of restrictions when using file systems, you'd probably see most benefit from larger block sizes when you're on raw.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"