Re: Tips on setting Oracle 8i

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:11:37 -0800

> This is my first time in charge, I will be setting Oracle 8i on NT server
> with 6 developers which
> will mean setting Client which I never did before and setting OEM to be use
> from workstation
> which I never did before either.
>
> I need your suggestion on the best way to set it where I can manage it from
> my workstation.
>
> Can you direct me to white paper/article that have a suggestion on how to
> plan your setting or if
> you can give me your experience and what do and don't would be greatly
> appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is practice saying "NO".

After you've got that down make sure that all objects in an application are built using a schema name that you will carry forward from development, to testing, to production. Do not let individual developers EVER build any object under their own schema that you intend to have in the final application. Never let anyone ever build a table or index without saving the DDL used to build it and never allow any object to be built without a STORAGE clause including an assignment of a tablespace name based upon object type, object size, and anticipated activity.

Finally get together with the development team and agree upon coding standards including naming conventions, indentations, and error handling.

After that everything is easy because you will find that you still have six friends rather than six mortal enemies.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Fri Jan 12 2001 - 01:11:37 CST