Re: constant monitoring and enqueues?

From: andrew_webby at hotmail <spam_at_no.thanks.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:53:12 -0000

Thanks Jonathan.

It's kind of what I was afraid of - C programming (of which I know nothing).

Poking around - albeit read-only - in my databases doesn't sound like the smartest thing for me to be attempting to do at this stage.

As for the enqueues, I don't currently have a problem - I might get one enqueue wait per day on each database which I can live with. It's just that I downloaded a document - can't remember where, either your site or Ixora - which gave details on deciphering the P1, P2, P1RAW etc in v$session_wait and had the idea of grabbing these enqueues as they occured, and deciphering into plain english where *exactly* (eg what block in what table if that's the case) the waits were occuring. The same document pointed out x$ksqst which caught my imagination also. The PDF seemed to suggest that was possible, but now I'm not so sure how. An event parameter in init.ora still seems like the logical answer to me, but as usual the Oracle documentation/search engine is found lacking...

Guess I'll stick this one on the back burner for a while. Thanks for your help however. Your site has been in my Favourites for some time and in case you don't hear it often - it is very useful indeed.

Andrew

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:979085328.15378.1.nnrp-12.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> I think you are likely to kill your system if you
> monitor every 5 seconds - unless your system
> is massively overpowered and you avoid some
> of the larger X$ objects.
>
> You might like to try the trick which I think
> Precise use - start with x$ksmfsv, which is the
> fixed memory map for the rest of the SGA,
> then use offsets into the SGA dictated by the
> contents of that to get to the x$ structures
> underpinning the v$ views.
>
> You'll have to write it in C or some other 3GL,
> but it shouldn't be impossible to get some useful
> information, and you'll bypass a lot of complex
> Oracle code doing it, so your access rate can be very high.
>
> Can you give some clues about your enqueue
> problem - it won't be possible to 'grab them at
> enqueue time' because that would require a
> method of intercepting the Oracle code path,
> but if you check v$session_wait for 'enqueue'
> waits, that gives you some detail about the
> enqueue you are waiting for, and x$ksqst gives
> you some information about the general cost
> of enqueue waits.
>
> --
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Practical Oracle 8i: Building Efficient Databases
>
> Publishers: Addison-Wesley
> See a first review at:
> http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
> More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html
>

> andrew_webby at hotmail wrote in message
> <979035313.22136.0.nnrp-12.c30bdde2_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> >Thanks Ethan. I'll take a look when the link comes back up.
> >
> >I still really need to know about constant monitoring however - like
 every
 5