Re: redo log sync time

From: Andreas Goldammer <agoldammer_at_viega.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:14:10 +0100

"Spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:%Pj76.2958$yG3.15915_at_nnrp1.sbc.net...

> "Andreas Goldammer" <agoldammer_at_viega.de> wrote in message
> >
> > "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > > As well as Brian's info - you may get some benefit by lowering your
 log
> > > buffer size to get LGWR to wake up "earlier" in the transaction cycle.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > > --
> > > ===========================================
> > > Connor McDonald
> > > http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
> > > http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)
> > >
> > > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
> >
> > Woudn't a lower log buffer size leed to problems in the
> > ORACLE server processes (waiting for logspace) ?
> >

> this is not necessarily a problem. remember that the contents
> of the log buffer are not written (by LGWR) to the redo log file
> until (1) the buffer is 1/3 full, or (2) a commit statement is issued.
>
> as Connor points out, with an overly large log buffer, LGWR may
> be waiting for the log buffer to become 1/3 full, and then may have
> a lot of i/o (sequential writes) to do to catch up.
>
> aside from reducing the frequency of commits, the cure for "high"
> redo log sync times is indeed tuning I/O, which means (1) reducing
> contention on the disk drives, and (2) avoiding any unnecessary
> overhead, like that imposed by a file system.

I have tuned I/O and removed the contention on the disk drives and I am still wondering why the logsync time is the same as on the old box.

My tuning actions:

These actions were taken and I can see a performance improvment; e.g. The database response times have decreased significant,

       The creation of a 2GB datafile on the old box took 15 min
       whereas the new one finishes in 4 min.

Can anybody tell me about logfile sync and hardware in other OLTP's ? Received on Fri Jan 12 2001 - 01:14:10 CST