user external authentication

From: <iluzn_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 05:39:06 GMT

i am having problems setting up a user whose authentication is based on OS. being new to oracle this is not likely to be a complicated issue but rather the lack of experience and knowledge of the system.

i have:
-oracle 8i
-created my database
-ensured that NTS is enabled in the profile
parameters
-created a user with the same login name as the
one i use to login to my network domain based on external authentication
-played around with OPS$ a little having no idea
what i was doing

the user i able to log in if auth'd with a password but not if defined externally. when defined externally i am able to log into sql etc but using VB when i try and open a connection to the database it gives me the error message that the password is not allowed to be null

also i am unable to initialise the name server (through the use of net8 assistant)

can anyone help ?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 23:39:06 CST