Re: redo log stats

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:59:33 -0000

Generally I assume that 128K is the right sort of figure. but 64K to 1Mb is the typical range of values. On just one or two occasions I have gone up 4Mb.

HOWEVER:
Steve Adams http://www.ixora.com.au pointed out in a recent note that Oracle 8.1 has changed its algorithm for forced writing of the log buffer. If the amount of used log buffer exceeds 1MB, a write takes place even in the absence of a commit, whereas such writes used to take place once the buffer was one-third full.

This more or less eliminates the problem of making small transaction suffer from the side-effects of an over-sized log_buffer.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html