Re: Backups via RMAN or Shell Script

From: <mikea730_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:18:39 GMT

This is exactly my thoughts. My current backup process is proven (and simple). It takes alot of testing to prove your recovery processes. I guess I'm not sure I want to add the extra complexities of RMAN. Seems like with RMAN your really dependent on the catalog information to recover??? What happens if you lose the catalog?? Seems like RMAN is adding complexity with more things to go wrong during recovry?? With basic HOT backups all you need is a good copy of the archived redo logs and you can recover from about any scenario without the dependency on another utility (like RMAN).

I think that if I was dealing with much larger databases I would need to use RMAN for the "incremental" backup capability. My largest database is only about 5gig and only takes about 10 minutes to do a complete HOT backup.

Mike

> > Just wanted to find out how many use RMAN vs. shell scripts to
 automate
> > Oracle Online (HOT) backups. It's been "suggested" that we start
 using
> > RMAN for backups. I use a shell script I wrote that works very
 well,
> > but was wondering if I should think about looking at using RMAN. I
> > wonder what backup method is most used by "seasoned" Oracle DBA's?
 Is
> > the trend moving towards RMAN?
> >
> > Thanks for any info!!
> >
> > Mike