Re: HELP! 8i performance Weirdness

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:59:08 GMT

> ran wrote in message <93djvo$ii0$1_at_nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>...
> >I have 3 Solaris machines with the same problem. When connecting via MTS
> >(multi threaded server) the data base will "hang" for 61.5 seconds then
> >continue normally! This happens with JBDC and OCI drivers. Has anyone seen
> >this? I happens on all three systems. It appears to be independent of
 system
> >load and is within a few milliseconds of 61.5 every time.

Be more specific about what exactly you did and what you observed.

   eg, by "the database hanged" do you mean the entire database froze? or that    connection? did it connect first then freeze? or did it freeze making the    connection?

Usually it's best to post the actual logs of what happened, and in this case comment them by pointing out exactly where the delay happened.

My hunch is you've specified something in the init.ora MTS config using DNS names and your DNS config is broken. On Solaris possibly nscd. You might try explicitly setting everything using IP addresses at least to test.

Incidentally, MTS on 8i doesn't really work. There's a known bug that it will randomly crash and the only suggested work-around is to not run MTS. Last I checked there was no ETA on a fix. If it's any consolation it takes a fair amount of activity before the bug is triggered. It's unfortunate but MTS generally seems to only work in every other version of Oracle.

--
greg