Re: Lowercase character

From: Roy Brokvam <roy.brokvam_at_conax.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:06:59 +0100

This is a really bad idea, but it is possible. I suggest you only use it to drop or rename objects which have lowercase letters in them or if you want to wreck a development project.

create table "MixedCase"
(

    "Id" number not null,
);

After this, you will always have to use "" in your SQL statements, as well as in describe...this is so easy to forget that the mixed-case objects seem to not exist. Really confusing! Bad, bad, bad idea!

SQL> desc mixedcase
Object does not exist.
SQL> desc MixedCase
Object does not exist.
SQL> desc "MixedCase"

Name                          Null?  Type
Id                             NOT NULL NUMBER

Again; a really bad, bad, bad idea!

The only reason I do answer is that until I learned this, I just couldn't get rid of someone else's "test table" (yes, a table name with spaces!) without dropping the schema. I'm sure there are others who have this problem, too...

--
Roy Brokvam

Theory is when you know why it doesn't work.
Practice is when it works, but you don't know why.
We combine theory and practice;
It doesn't work, and we don't know why.