Re: Backups via RMAN or Shell Script

From: <jumaga_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:02:06 GMT

To me, the biggest advanatage about RMAN is the fact that it only backs up the blocks it has to... for instance, if you have a 1gig datafile but only 100mb of it is currently being used by objects within that datafile, RMAN recognizes this and only backs up the 100mb. Regular hot backups involve backing up the entire datafile.

There's lots of other good features too, like configuring OEM to manage the RMAN backups. IMNSHO, RMAN is far superior.

In article <93islt$pvu$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   mikea730_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Just wanted to find out how many use RMAN vs. shell scripts to
 automate
> Oracle Online (HOT) backups. It's been "suggested" that we start
 using
> RMAN for backups. I use a shell script I wrote that works very well,
> but was wondering if I should think about looking at using RMAN. I
> wonder what backup method is most used by "seasoned" Oracle DBA's? Is
> the trend moving towards RMAN?
>
> Thanks for any info!!
>
> Mike
>
> Sent via Deja.com