Oracle 9i nitty gritty

From: <jumaga_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:57:19 GMT

Ok, what's the story with 9i? I've read some of Oracle's marketing hype and I still can't figure out what the real deal is. It looks to me like it is primarily still just an 8.1.7 database but that they have bundled all their apps in and are pushing it as a complete package. They've also bundled a bunch of new tools (half of which probably don't work properly) but has the core db technology gone through another major change?

Does anyone have further insight into the nitty-gritty?

PS
I've been working with Oracle since version 6 and it seems like I'm constantly fighting to stay current with Oracle... I spent the majority of the last year getting intimate with 8i, and now I have to get familiar with 9i? Jeesh. The time between major releases of Oracle is getting a little out of hand... I guess Ellison really does want to be the next Microsoft. LOL! I'll get off the soap box now.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 11:57:19 CST