Internal password confusion

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 05:51:31 GMT

Platform: NT; Oracle version: 8.1.6 EM. Default install.

I found myself unable to connect to a database using the userid
'internal', password 'oracle'. Same failure in both svrmgrl and DBA
Studio.

After much reading on these newsgroups, and experimenting, here's what

I found.

I used ORAPWD to recreate the password file with a password of
'oracle'. I could then connect as 'internal/oracle' in svrmgrl. I
could also
connect as 'sys/oracle' - which agrees with the various posts and help

texts that say that ORAPWD changes BOTH 'internal' and 'sys' (contrary to what some posters have said).

However, in dba studio, I found that I could connect as
'sys/change_on_install' as a 'normal' user, or as 'sys/oracle' as
sysdba user. So I concluded that there are really two 'versions' of the sys user in my environment at this point - 'sys/internal' and
'sys/oracle'!

This is not reproducible in svrmgrl or sql*plus - in these apps, only the 'sys/change_on_install' works. But I just re-tested - dba studio allows me to connect as sysdba using sys/oracle!

For what it's worth...

Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks Received on Wed Jan 10 2001 - 23:51:31 CST