Re: sqlplus from Unix prompt

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:51:25 GMT

> Script done, file is sqlogin.log
> SUPERUSER_at_tantalus:/tmp> grep log sqlogin.log
> stat64("/dev/conslog", 0xEFFFC358) = 0
> stat64("/dev/conslog", 0xEFFFC938) = 0
> access("/home/charliem/osm/dyna/login.sql", 0) = 0
> open("/home/charliem/osm/dyna/login.sql", O_RDONLY) = 9
> open("/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.6.2/sqlplus/admin/glogin.sql", O_RDONLY)
> = 12
>
> Only TWO directories/files were checked, even though my SQLPATH contains
> many more directories as shown below.

Are you sure that only two directories were checked? It looks to me like only two directories contained either the LOGIN.SQL file or the GLOGIN.SQL file. It found the LOGIN.SQL file that is in the /home/charliem/osm/dyna directory. While I can't see everything that you've done, I can only guess that you envoked SQL*Plus from this directory. I'm guessing this based on the fact that this directory is not listed in your SQLPATH below. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that SQL*Plus quits looking after it has found a LOGIN.SQL file. It does not do any further checking for this file in your SQLPATH.

The second directory that was checked is $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin. SQL*Plus will search here last after an exhaustive search of your current directory and your SQLPATH. It will also load the contents of the GLOGIN.SQL file (which is the "G"lobal LOGIN.SQL file).

> charliem_at_tantalus(EDWDEV):/home/charliem> echo $SQLPATH
> /usr/local/sql:/home/charliem/sql:/usr/local/oracle/sql:/u01/app/oracle/loc
> al/sql:/home/charliem/sql:/home/oracle/sql
>
> HTH & YMMV!
I use SQL*Plus on Solaris (among other platforms) and it's always worked exactly as described for me.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at