Re: Dealock on Rollback Segment (I think)

From: <buckeye714_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:36:26 GMT

Just an FYI for anyone follwing this thread.

I rebuilt the tables in question. I increased pctfree to prevent chaining/migration and increased initrans to support multiple processes updating the tables. They just completed month-end processing without any problems. I was told by Oracle Support that they can't verify it, but I believe Jonathan Lewis was correct in identifying this as an ITL problem. Thanks for everyone's input.

Later .....
Patrick

In article <92fp31$fsc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   buckeye714_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> We have oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.6 and are implementing Oracle
> Financial Services Application. One process in this app updates every
> row in our customer table, currently four million rows. In an effort
> speed this up, an Oracle consultant split the update process into 8
> separate processes. It now does the updates based on rowid, where
> process 1 does the first 500,000 rowid's, process 2 does the next
> 500,000 rowid's, and so on. These 8 process are run simultaneously.
>
> The process ran fine on the test box, but we get deadlocks on the
> 'production' box. Using OEM, it appears that the deadlock is on a
> rollback segment. Since the application is updating rows based on
> specific rowid's, I don't believe the deadlock is a result of two
> process
> updating the same set of rows. Also, I am positive that the
> sid's involved in the deadlock belong to the 8 processes being run.
>
> Does any one have an idea on how to fix this problem? Thanks in
 advance
> for your help.
>
> Patrick.
>
> Sent via Deja.com