Re: dificult SQL

From: Roy Brokvam <roy.brokvam_at_conax.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:46:35 +0100

select customer,inc from table1
union select customer,inc from table2
order by inc;

"Order by" is applied after "union", so you use it just once. Inc refers to the second column in the first select, and therefore implicitly refers to the second column of all selects. You can also say:

select customer,inc from table1
union select customer,inc from table2
order by 2;

to explicitly specify column #2. If the second column in the first query is an expression without an alias, you have to use the latter syntax.

--
Roy Brokvam

Theory is when you know why it doesn't work.
Practice is when it works, but you don't know why.
We combine theory and practice;
It doesn't work, and we don't know why.