Re: RAID Newbie question...

From: Kelly-Anne Frendo <kfrendo_at_bvb.gi>
Date: 9 Jan 2001 16:26:27 +0100

I think you may be getting the same confusion that I had a few weeks back. (Check for answers to my question on RAID 5 on this newsgroup - it may help clarify matters)

I am new to Oracle, but I was clear with the concept of different files, etc on their own physical disks, e.g. log file members/groups, indexes, data, etc. Then I was confused because the use of RAID seemed to ignore all this completely.

The way I see things now, is that if you use RAID5, the recommendations for different physical disks for different Oracle things go down the drain - you cannot use both the Oracle best practices and RAID 5 at the same time. What I have learnt from this newsgroup is that RAID5 is not a good idea for Oracle databases, so I guess it is best to forget RAID5 for database systems, and instead use the concepts of splitting indexes, logs, etc.on different disks as recommended by Oracle.

I hope this helps. My answer may be a little fuzzy as I am still slowly getting the understanding of this myself.

K.

--
Posted from stan.gibnet.gi [195.166.192.3]