Re: Bitmap header and footer sizes

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 21:41:54 -0000

Notwithstandin Oracle notes to the contrary, I am not convinced that (in 8.1.5 at least) there is such a thing as a bitmap footer.

Also, I have not yet managed to create a datafile larger enough to require more than 64K of total file header (i.e. header block(s) + bitmap blocks) although I don't have a platform that will support the 32K Oracle block size, so my tests are incomplete.

Depending on block size, a 64K header maps 27,000 to 30,000 uniform extents, so your 1Gb file will have no trouble with your 250 4MB extents.

If you want precision, you could create your raw at

    1 Oracle block (platform dependent) +     64K +
    N x extent size.

If you want safety, just build a file which is a of megabytes larger than the total extent space you want to allocate. You waste the best part of a megabyte - but that's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i
More reviews at: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html