Re: Restricting ODBC access to Oracle

From: bhogak <bhogak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:20:55 GMT

Thats what we do too. All our end-users use our Forms to access the database and we grant roles to all users based on their Job duties. However, lets say a user has a role which allows him to update a table, it would also enable him to update that table using ODBC without any validation. Hope my question is more clear now. Bhogak
In article <93fvdk$apm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Doug Coan <dcoan_at_aegonusa.com> wrote:
> In article <93fjfa$178$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> bhogak <bhogak_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > I wish to restrict end-users from accessing our Prod database using
> > ODBC (MS-Access) or SQL*Plus. In the later case, I think I can use
 the
> > Profile tables to control their access. But how can I control their
> > access thru ODBC?
> >
> > Thx.
> > Bhogak.
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
> >

> I am assuming that you only want these people to access the system
 via a
> specific app. The common approach here is to grant all access to
 roles.
> These roles are not default and are password protected. The
 application
> enables the role(s) when the user signs in and all is ok.
>
> --
> Doug Coan
> Oracle Certified Professional DBA
>
> Sent via Deja.com