Re: How do I update part of a field's value in SQL

From: DriftWood <drift_wood_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:47:48 GMT

You might consider writing a small stored procedure that accepts the old and new names (or portions of them) as parameters and then makes the changes using the pl/sql string manipulation functions.

A cursor could be opened against the old name with a wildcard (%) appended, you then get the old length (or new length) and use this to trim and recreate the string and then update it back in.

--
-cheers

  DW

"It is a kind of good deed to say well; and yet words are not deeds.   -William Shakespeare"

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 09 2001 - 10:47:48 CST