Re: Difference between PUBLIC and "PUBLIC"

From: <steveee_ca_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 14:24:16 GMT

Hi,

I think I can help with most of these issues:

SQLWKS> grant select on v$session to aces;  grant select on v$session to aces

                 *

 ORA-02030: can only select from fixed tables/views

V$SESSION is a dynamic performance view

These views are owned by 'SYS', not by PUBLIC or public..

Hopefully this is of some help,

Steve

In article <93eagh$2dd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Atta ur-Rehman <atta707_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> please consider this:
>
> when I try to grant select priv on v$session without qualifying it
 with
> the owner it generates ORA-02030 which SOUNDS out of context. Could
 you
> please explain the reasons for this error.
>
> SQLWKS> grant select on v$session to aces;
> grant select on v$session to aces
> *
> ORA-02030: can only select from fixed tables/views
>
> when i qualify the v$session with the owner public (in lower case):
> SQLWKS> grant select on public.v$session to aces;
> grant select on public.v$session to aces
> *
> ORA-00903: invalid table name
>
> That is oracle is unable to resolve the owner (in lower case). then i
> try to qualify the view with owner in upper case:
>
> SQLWKS> grant select on PUBLIC.v$session to aces;
> grant select on PUBLIC.v$session to aces
> *
> ORA-00903: invalid table name
>
> that doesn't work either.
>
> but the moment I enclose the owner, public, in double quotes it works:
>
> SQLWKS> grant select on "PUBLIC".v$session to aces;
> Statement processed.
>
> I know that the double quotes are used to preserve the oracle objects'
> names' case. but then isn't it true the becuase oracle by default,
> without double quotes, converts the object name to UPPER case; so
> PUBLIC and "PUBLIC" *should* be the same?
>
> any thoughts on above behavior would be greatly apprecaited. I'm using
> Oracle 8.0.4 on NT 4 and i've tried the same thing on 8.1.5 on NT with
> exactly the same results.
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> regards,
>
> ATTA