Re: Help: which oracle product should I choose?

From: Peter Laursen <pl_at_mail1.remove.this.stofanet.dk>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 20:07:39 +0100

ZAlexsatellite skrev i meddelelsen
<20010107165356.09505.00000690_at_ng-ch1.aol.com>...
>Hello Oracle experts here, I am a college student and I have some
 questions
>about Oracle installation to consult you. These days I am learning
 Oracle, an
>currently I want to install Oracle on my PC. However I met two
 problems:
>1. Since I am a novice to learn Oracle, which Oracle products do you
 recommend?
>(Oracle8i Lite? Oracle8i Personal Edition? Oracle8i Enterprise Edition?
 other
>products?). I am currently learning PL/SQL and JDBC programming
 associated with
>Oracle, maybe something else later.

Oracle8i Personal Edition would be my choice. Do not use the lite version. You do not need the Standard or the Enterprise version, but since you get it for free you might as well go for the Enterprise :-) but personal is the least hasle to configure. Read the concepts manual at http://technet.oracle.com Oracle is not a toy and you will need to do some reading to get it running and to connect etc... Download the freeware TOAD from www.toadsoft.com for easy access to data and tables etc

>2. I want to upgrade my win98 to Win2000(Professional or Server
 version), From
>your point of view, which OS is better to install for learning Oracle?
 Win2000
>Professional version or Server version(my PC is an PIII and with
 192MBytes
>memory)?

Oracle 8.1.6 and better IS certified for Win2000 and Win2000 Professional is a better choice than win98 ! You dont need the Win2000 server version. 192 MB ram is fine for learning purposes.

Peter Laursen Received on Mon Jan 08 2001 - 13:07:39 CST