Re: Suggestion on moving large amount of data from two databases

From: Richard Sutherland <rvsutherland_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:26:28 -0500

The biggest problem with export/import is that there is no way to avoid generating rollback during the insert. If the 2 databases are in the same data center (i.e., the network is not a problem), then the fastest method of copying data is:

CREATE TABLE local
NOLOGGING
<storage clause, if you want>
AS
SELECT * FROM remote_table_at_remote_service ;

Sometimes this is even the best method for networked sites.

Richard Sutherland
rvsutherland_at_yahoo.com