Re: constant monitoring and enqueues?

From: Ethan Post <epost1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:28:41 GMT

My applications grab data from the V$ views on average every 5 minutes which causes very little performance degradation. You are free to check out the code, although it is in PL/SQL only. Check out:

www.gnumetrics.com

and

www.gnumetrics.com/gnumetrics.gif

The latter is a screen shot of an Access application I wrote that uses the data collected from GnuMetrics. It is not publically available but GnuMetrics is. The links appear to be down at the moment, thanks to freeservers.com, but hopefully they will be back up soon.

-Ethan
www.freetechnicaltraining.com

In article <978964262.25159.0.nnrp-12.c30bdde2_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "andrew_webby at hotmail" <spam_at_no.thanks.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking to write something (mainly to try and teach myself Java -
 urk!)
> that will monitor the performance of various oracle counters (cache
 hits
> etc) and graph them.
>
> My question is this: if I'm taking a sample every couple of seconds
 say, am
> I reasonably safe if I stay to selecting from v$ views for example?
 I'm
> thinking of repeatedly querying things and am worried for performance
> reasons here...
>
> My basic idea-template for this is from looking at the neat graphs in
 the
> demo of Quest Software's Instance Monitor which from the quick look I
 had,
> appears to garner rather a lot of information, quickly and
 repeatedly. I
> notice in this months Oracle mag that there's an ad for SQLab Vision
 which
> claims to collect SQL statements non-intrusively, with no overhead to
> Oracle. How?
>
> Is it perhaps tunneling in some other way and getting at the
 performance
> information in some other less-intrusive manner? Or is my thinking on
 this
> all wrong?
>
> While I'm on the subject, if I want to decipher exactly where my
 enqueues
> are queueing, I know which tables to read. The problem is that I need
> read them at enqueue time - is there an event I can set that will
 grab these
> when they occur or do I have to rely on hoping that I'm querying these
> tables just in time? A list of events is where btw?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas/avenues to explore.
>
> Andrew

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Jan 08 2001 - 16:28:41 CST