Re: AVG_ROW_LEN inaccurate?

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:29:32 GMT

The VSIZE function only tells you how much room the *data* requires. It does not tell you how much overhead is required to store that data. In your query, you wanted the size of the data directly from a table. But what if you used a query like this:
  SELECT vsize('some string') FROM dual; How much overhead is required for storing the literal in the above example? None because it is not stored in a table.

You'll have to use decodes, or live with the results you've gotten from VSIZE as a rough estimate.

HTH,
Brian

John Dorlon wrote:

> Thanks Jonathan.
>
> Funny that VSIZE does not include that. Is there another function that
> does, or do I just have to add
> some decodes in my query to get the 1 or the 3 added in?
>
> -John

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center