Re: dbstart script failure on 8i

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 17:39:41 GMT

In our last gripping episode Paul Bennett <spacey845_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <3A551C07.FFEB12A1_at_NYCap.RR.Com>,
> Stephen Murphy <SMurphy1_at_NYCap.RR.Com> wrote:
> > Been there, done that.....
> >
> > There is an official fix available from Oracle but I don't have it
 at
> > home. It fixes the check for PL/SQL and also fixes some $VARIBLE
 setting
> > which was not done quite right.
> >
> > Connor McDonald wrote:

 [snip]

 [snip]
> > > You've done the right thing - its a known bug - because PL/SQL is
 no
> > > longer option (ie its mandatory) it no longer appears in the
 banner.

> > > Fixed in a patch release somewhere..

> Thanks!
>

> I'm suffering from a bout of PHB interference. Anyone got any ideas
> where can I get the official patch?
>

> ---
> Pb
> My opinions are my own and should not be taken as
> representing any other group or entity.
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I believe this is what you are looking for. This was found on Metalink, and also included are the referenced support notes regarding Server manager desupport and the CONNECT INTERNAL desupport:

Doc ID: Note:98418.1
Subject: WARNING: "dbstart" does not work with 8.1.6 Instances Type: PROBLEM
 Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
Creation Date: 07-FEB-2000
Last Revision Date: 13-JUL-2000
Language: USAENG

Problem Description

  "dbstart" is a shellscript used on Unix platforms to start databases   listed in the "oratab" file. It is often called from system startup   scripts.

  The "dbstart" script shipped with all versions of Oracle up to and   including 8.1.6 does not start any 8.1.6 instances if they are down.   "dbstart" will report "Database <SID> warm started" rather than starting
  the instance. This problem only affects 8.1.6 (or later) instances.

  The change in the banner may affect users custom startup / shutdown   scripts.

  "dbshut" has no problem.

  Please note there are 2 related issues which should be born in mind   when changing any startup / shutdown scripts:

     Advance notification of Server Manager desupport [NOTE:74943.1]
     Advance notification of CONNECT INTERNAL desupport [NOTE:50508.1] Solution Description

  Enterprise Edition Workaround

  The workaround is to change the dbstart script to look for the string   "Oracle8i Enterprise Edition" instead of "PL/SQL" by making the following
  changes:
  1. Save a copy of the 8.1.6 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart script
  2. Edit the script and change the 'awk' lines from: VERSION=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl command=exit | awk ' /PL\/SQL (Release|Version)/ {substr($3,1,3) ; print substr($3,1,3)}'` to: VERSION=`$ORACLE_HOME/bin/svrmgrl command=exit | awk ' /PL\/SQL (Release|Version)/ { print substr($3,1,3); exit } /Oracle7 Server (Release|Version)/ { print substr($4,1,3); exit } /Oracle8i Enterprise Edition (Release|Version)/ { print substr ($5,1,3); exit } /Oracle8i (Release|Version)/ { print substr($3,1,3); exit }'`

      Additionally for platforms which set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the dbstart

      script you should change the following:
      From:
            LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:${ORACLE_HOME}/lib ;
            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
      To:
            LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} ;
            export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

   3. Copy the updated "dbstart" to any location it is expected to reside.

      Eg: system startup scripts often run /usr/local/bin/dbstart.

      IMPORTANT: Do not overwrite existing scripts without taking a backup

                 copy first as the script you are overwriting may have
                 been modified.

   NOTE: This workaround will only work for Oracle8 Enterprise Editions
         Similar workarounds may be used for other editions.

Explanation

  The problem is caused by a change in the Oracle banner which is output
  by Oracle version 8.1.6. The banner no longer includes a PL/SQL line   and so the test in "dbstart" for a PL/SQL version returns a blank string
  which in turn causes the step to startup the instance to be skipped.