Materialized Views Question

From: <rkatofiasc_at_classifiedventures.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:41:47 GMT

I currently have a materialized view that does a straight monthly rollup from our daily base fact tables.
The refresh method is fast and has been working over the last 2 months. I have 2 questions.
If I prune a partition on the daily base fact table what would happen to the materialized view?
i.e. I drop the partition for Sep 1999 from the fact table.

We recently ran into a problem that the materialized refresh would not allow us to fast refresh because some log dates did not match up. After talking to Oracle the only solution was a complete refresh. A complete refresh dumps all the data in the materialized view and rebuilds from the base fact table. If I pruned the fact data we now lost all data for the pruned month! How can I get around this? Do I have to reload all the pruned fact data? Is there a way to load directly into the materialized view data that is no longer in the fact base tables?

Thanks Rob

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Fri Jan 05 2001 - 10:41:47 CST