Re: NASA switches from Oracle to MySQL

From: Business <ihatespam_at_nomail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:51:26 -0500

It sounds like MySQL is moving in the right direction. However, its transaction support is primitive and lacks robustness. The errors and the unqualified frequency are unacceptable.

Check Out appendix G for the reasons why MySQL is not acceptable for commercial use.

"G Known errors and design deficiencies in MySQL"

MySQL is not a true SQL database. If you read the user comments in the documentation, this is clearly a point that must be overcome before MySQL will break out of its current niche..

From the documentation provided:

Section 5.4.1:

The following will not yet work in MySQL:

SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE id IN (SELECT id FROM table2);
SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE id NOT IN (SELECT id FROM table2);
SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT id FROM table2 where
table1.id=table2.id);

However, in many cases you can rewrite the query without a sub-select: .....

This is unacceptable. Subqueries and correlated subqueries are essential for transactions.

I think the evidence is clear, MySQL is several years and several hundred thousand lines of code away from challenging Oracle.

I actually use MySQL. We use it for Bugzilla and a couple of other non-critical databases, because it is fast, small and free. I think an argument could be made for using MySQL over Access or other file based databases, but that is about as far as you can take the analogy.

Chris Weiss
Chief Scientist for Database Engineering PureCarbon, Inc.

"Knut Lassmann" <knut_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3A55991D.91D8851C_at_mytoys.de...
> > MySQL is not a transactional database, so it doesn't even qualify for
 TCP

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/commented/manual.php?section=Missin g_Transactions