Re: JDK1.3 and Oracle

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 05:38:19 GMT

In article <930irt$5q3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jisenho_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> When I tried running the JdbcCheckup.java program that comes with
> Oracle to test JDBC, I could only make the connection using jdk1.1.8,
> when I tried using JDK1.3 the compiler returned a make_c_state error
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Can't help much, I'm afraid, don't have Win98. This is the result of some tests on Linux RedHat 6.2 with Sun JDK 1.3 and 1.2.2:

[oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ java JdbcCheckup Please enter information to test connection to the database user: scott password: tiger database (a TNSNAME entry): test8i Connecting to the database...Connecting... connected. Hello World Your JDBC installation is correct. [oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/java/jdk1.3/src.jar:/home/oracle/base/app/oracle/product/8.1.6/jdbc/lib/ classes111.zip:. [oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ . javaenv JAVA_VERSION = [130] ? 122 [oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ javac JdbcCheckup.java [oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ java JdbcCheckup Please enter information to test connection to the database user: scott password: tiger database (a TNSNAME entry): test8i Connecting to the database...Connecting... connected. Hello World Your JDBC installation is correct. [oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ . javaenv JAVA_VERSION = [122] ? 130 [oracle_at_Alex basic-samples]$ java JdbcCheckup Please enter information to test connection to the database user: scott password: tiger database (a TNSNAME entry): test8i Connecting to the database...Connecting... connected. Hello World Your JDBC installation is correct.

Some comments. javaenv sets up JDK environment (I have 3, IBM 1.1.8, Sun 1.2.2 and Sun 1.3). First try was with JDK 1.3 compiled JdbcCheckup and with JDK 1.3. Second try: compiled and run JdbcCheckup with JDK 1.2.2. Third try: run 1.2.2 compiled JdbcCheckup usind JDK 1.3.

Check other samples, for example Employee from thin drivers directory, it actually the simplest one. You'd have to change connection string within the code. May be your JDK 1.3 has some bugs, not even related to jdbc...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 04 2001 - 23:38:19 CST