slow connections on Solaris 7/Oracle 8.1.6

From: <gordon_arch_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:20:11 GMT

We have Oracle 8.1.6 installed on several systems, and we have an intermittent problem logging on (sqlplus) to the server. Most of the time the connection is instantaneous, but sometimes it takes up to 90 seconds to connect to the database using sqlplus. Once the connection is established everything seems to be fine.

The issue came up during H/A testing. If Oracle takes an extra 90 seconds to fail over it leads to bad H/A performance.

We tested this using an online while loop:
>while:
>do
>date
>quit
>EOF
>sleep 1
>done

The loop should run quickly, but we sometimes get 30-90 second pauses.

In our case some systems experience this problem more frequently than others, and it does not seem to be tied to database load. We are a development shop, so the load on the systems we have been testing on is pretty low (come to think about it the problem seems to be worse on systems that are less used).

Has anyone else seen this problem? Are we doing something obviously silly? Our dba opened a call with Oracle some time ago, but we do not have a solution.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 04 2001 - 16:20:11 CST