Re: Package vs standalone for single function/procedure?

From: Keith Jamieson <Keith.Jamieson_at_phoenix.ie>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:51:35 -0000

I don't think this is the case. If you have lots of standalone functions and procedures, then anytime one of them is referenced, it has to be loaded into the SGA - if its not already loaded).

That means, if you have 10 standalone functions/procedures, then you have potentially 10 memory loads.

If you have one package with 10 functions/procedures then that is one memory load.

Now, if you have 10 packages each with one function/procedure , you still have 10 memory loads.

So, it is not really sensible to put just one function or procedure into a package, unless you have some other good reason to do so.

Look at Steve Feuerstein's book on Oracle Pl/SQL Programming (O'Reilly).