Re: sun sparc oracle solaris--- && troubles

From: <rodhuckeba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 23:28:51 GMT

I'll be (without even tuning the sql) that you don't have enough memory and your sga is being swapped out! You probably have 64 MB or maybe even 128 and your SGA is to big.

While i normally agree that a methodical troubleshooting plan should be followed, sometimes a bit of old-fashioned common sense or intuition will help.

There are no hard-and-fast rules.

Rod

In article <92uns2$o9q$1_at_news.sinet.slb.com>,   "Adam Soudure" <asoudure_at_slb.com> wrote:
> Yes, but simply upgrading the hardware is an expensive and short term
> solution.
> The best way to get better performance from your database is to tune
 it, and
> in this
> order: SQL Code --> RDBMS --> O/S --> Hardware.
>
> It is possbile that the original poster had a bit of SQL code that was
> inefficiently
> written, and required a bit of tweaking. I have personally seen this
 kind of
> tuning
> turn six hour reports into 35 second ones!
>
> I would look at the code first and run it through the explain plan. If
 it
> looks OK, then
> some tuning of the DB might be in order (ie SGA size, indexes on
 certain
> tables,
> layout of data files on the host etc etc). Only after those two steps
 would
> I entertain
> thoughts of new hardware.
>
> As for your assertion that Sun machines can't approach the speed of
 PC's, I
> say
> bollocks to that! The Sun machines in our data centre have it all over
 PC's
> in terms
> of workload capacity, speed, reliability and scalability. One of the
 E450's

> > That is too much hassle to do. The best way is use high speed
 hardware
> > to fix this problem. We have similiar performance problem. ON SUn
> > 1000E a sql statement run 10 minutes , same sql statement on dell
 2450 (
> > 1Ghz) only take 30 seconds. SUN computer CPU speed can not compare
 with
> > PC now. In theory, explain will help you the debug sql performance.
> > The problem is programmer or verdor don't want spent time on it.
> >

> > In article <3A4CEB9B.CB8FBC39_at_usgs.gov>,
> > Troy Meyerink <meyerink_at_usgs.gov> wrote:
> > > If you want to see how Oracle is running the SQL, use the explain
 plan
> > > tool.
> > > Unless you write a lot of SQL, I wouldn't assume anything with the
 Oracle
> > > SQL parser. Also if you want help on tuning a system, you might
 want
> > > provide more information about the system.
> > >
> > > Troy Meyerink
> > > Oracle DBA
> > > Raytheon
> > > USGS \ EROS Data Center